10+ lb. Peacock Bass!!

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

10+ lb. Peacock Bass!!

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:31 pm

I thought that would get your attention! :lol:

A friend of mine was trying to get rid of two temensis peacock bass. I didn't want to see them dumped into the lake so I cleared out my talopia and bluegills to make room for these two predators.

They went from their home tank to my pond in about 12 minutes so the transport was less stressful (I hope). If anyone is wondering, yes these are legal to possess. This species is generally not found in Lake Wilson but are common amongst aquarium peeps. The temensis species is the type found in South America and can grow to about 3' long. I believe the world record is now 28 lbs.!

Getting ready for the speedy transport using a 75 gallon tub with water from their home.

They have been living in a huge 650 gallon aquarium

The first net was no match for the mighty temensis!

12 minutes later they find their new home.

Maybe one day I'll weigh them but for now, straight to the pond.

Looks like they are in some type of defense mode adjusting to their new environment. Yes, those are bricks weighing down the new driftwood structure for the tems.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:13 pm

I've caught some very small peacock bass in the lake that have spots like that.

Your pond looks really nice.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

fish4fun
master baiter level

Postby fish4fun » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:14 am

Awesome fish, glad to see they went to a good home. Also hope they are a breeding pair. if they spawn I would love to get some from you.

Pegasus
King Sushi level

Postby Pegasus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:45 am

They are awesome ! What are you feeding them ?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:35 am

Thanks for the kind words. We're hoping they are male & female. I tried researching on how to tell the difference between a male & female, only to learn that there are no visible difference. There is a way for experienced fisher handlers to tell. It is a process called "venting" and has to do with the anal fin. Maybe fish guru Ken will chime in with some advice. Since they were in a tank with a dozen or so of assorted other fish, they have never spawned. Now that they have 600+ gallons to themselves, I'm hopeing to see a nest on the driftwood. I'd be glad to share some fingerlings with the bass fishing ohana, sell the rest on Craigslist!

Their prior diet was frozen smelt every other day or so with an occasional small live fish thrown in. I left 6 bluegill and three talops in the tank with them. Seems they are getting used to the new environment. This morning I counted only 4 bluegills. :roll: 8)

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Hey! No fish guru at all...that title belongs to Ahnkochee! I don't dare take that title from the true fish guru. :oops:

I have tried searching the web for info on sexing peacock bass...and aside from the "venting" you mentioned, there is nothing else...until your fish are actually in spawning mode and then you get that characteristic hump on the head in the males.

This is what I found on Yahoo!Answers...how true it is...I don't know...even people on cichlid forums can't say for sure...

(quote) Males will always be more colorful and of course bigger but what tells them apart is their " hump "...(cut out random, non-relevant banter)...also if the anus hole right below the tail if it has a little bump its a female if it doesnt its a male (end quote)

There is also this link to venting that I found...but of course...they don't have a discussion on peacock bass. :?

http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm

I guess...if you look at their vents and you see two different anatomy, it's a good chance you have a pair. :lol:

Sorry, I guess you'll have to wait until one develops a bump on the head.

Oh...and don't sell the rest to Craigslist :roll: Dump them into the lake!!! :wink: I'm sure we can all use some temesis peacock in the lake...they'll get rid of some of the banded jewel cichlids, red devils and tilapia...although the largemouths and butterfly peacocks may suffer as well. :? But just imagine throwing 2oz buzz poppers at these temesis! I'm sure no one will be missing the butterfly peacocks and largemouths by then. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:01 pm

That link has some good info. Thanks Ken. Yea, I'm guessing to get a definitive answer, time will tell.

Return to “General Discussion”