Water Level

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Water Level

Postby Stan Wright » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:35 am

Last weekend I drove by the lake and the water level seemed a little higher. After all the rain this week, I bet the water level is higher.

Over 40 years of fishing the lake there are two things that I've noticed affect the feeding habits of peacock bass. When the water temperature drops below 76 degrees, the bite seems to really slow down. Well, they are "tropical" fish after all. LOL.

If the water lever of the lake rises 2 or 3 feet over night it seems to shut down the peacock bass action. I've seen the lake level rise over 12 feet over night. That usually causes the lake to become a muddy mess. Just something I've notices. a quick rise in the lake level turns the action off for peacock bass.

I love fishing for Red Devils, especially with a fly rod. It's all sight fishing. You see the fish and cast to it... watch it take your fly and they put up a good fight on light tackle. When the water level rises, you can't see the fish... they seem to stay at their regular spot and that may be 2 or 3 feet below the surface. They are probably sitting there asking each other where the sunshine went. LOL

Yes, I miss the days when the lake was full and trickling over the spillway all the time. The water seemed clearer, There were a lot more areas to fish. And certain areas held fish pretty much all the time. Aaaaaaa, "the good old days". LOL. LOL. LOL.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Re: Water Level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:41 pm

I agree, the fishing was better when the water was higher. The good old days, less homeless too. They pretty much trashed the lake. They should charge the people who live in the flood zones in Wailua for flood control and use the money to improve and maintain the lake.

Return to “Fishing Reports”