Caught a few at home after striking out at Lake Fork

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

Caught a few at home after striking out at Lake Fork

Postby skunked » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:38 am

My wife and I did our road trip (590 miles round trip) from Houston, TX to Lake Fork in Alba/Emory/Yantis (Stan's town) once again. This was our 6th trip there and 7th guide trip. It was by far the worst fishing luck we've had there so far. Our guide was the same as the last time, Eric Wright http://ericwrightlakefork.com/
I took the picture of him and the 3 bass on his homepage! The timing was just not good. The lake was turning over (10/17). No one we talked to was having much luck either. I didn't feel so bad because I knew that with Eric as our guide, we had our best chance because he is one of the best guides on the lake. We ended up with only 7 fish, all less than 2 pounds. Eric singlehandedly outfished us once again, but nothing big. He is a great angler and only 21 years old! If he had the financial backing, I am sure he would be right up there with KVD and Ike! He also fished my rod and reel out of the depths for me after it fell overboard! Whew!
typical of the ones we caught.
I still had fishing on my mind and wanted to try out my new Citica 201G6 (great!) when we returned home, so I went to my usual spot and caught this:
This tuc was caught on an Xcalibur lipless crank, Shimano Citica, and G-Loomis BCR802 GLX rod.
I went back the next day and caught a decent size bass on a 1/16 oz Roadrunner. There were sporadic busts throughout the time I was there, but they were out of reach of my casts from shore. Grrr!!
I also just received my Daiwa Tatula. Broke it down as soon as I got it so I could re-lube it, flush the bearings, and re-oil with a thinner oil (important).
I haven't had a chance to fish it yet, but I have a strong feeling that this reel will be a game changer for Daiwa. It is as smooth as my Zillion, which costs twice as much! Finally, a strong competitor for the Shimano Curado, after many failed attempts.
I look forward to our next Lake Fork road trip, but in the meantime, I will still have fun here on our little lake whenever I have a chance!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Return to “Fishing Reports”