Nice winter Lake Trout

Please report your GIANT fish stories here !

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Ken
King Sushi level

Nice winter Lake Trout

Postby Ken » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:09 am

Michael, Evan and I met up yesterday to fish Simcoe. Previous day's report suggested 4-5 inches of ice. That was what we found yesterday as well. All of us had survival suits and Evan and I had lots of experience icefishing and fishing on Simcoe. We were spudding as we walk out and test drilling a hole every so often. The ice is still borderline safe...so I WILL NOT advise anyone going out on that ice at the moment, especially with the warm weather in the next few days!

We started our day early and started fishing at 6:30am. I always like to get there early to explore the area, find the right depth...and sometimes the fish turns on with a day break bite. According to previous day's report, the bite was supposed to start at 9am, but didn't come until 12pm.

If I remember correctly, Michael went 2/4, catching his first ever lake trout and then topping it with a PB laker. Evan went 2/4 landing 2 lake trout. I went 1/4 landing 1 lake trout, losing 2 and I'm pretty sure a whitefish came unbottoned as well. I also missed another whitefish hit (so light that it came and went before I can even set the hook).

We fished until 4pm and tried to find a late afternoon bite...but a shift in the wind and a dip in the temperature probably shut down the bite.

Instead of my usual long written report, here is a video. I'll try to position the camera better next time. I should have pointed it further downward. (There is a bit of swearing in the video...viewer discretion advised)

http://youtu.be/qhkwoYihMXg

Here are a few pictures.

Michael's first Lake Trout

Evan's Lake Trout

Michael's PB Lake Trout

Fish on the graph

There's this much ice...

My PB lake trout at 26.5"

A couple of fillets for my co-worker.

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

Return to “Fishing Reports”