Casting reels: shimano vs. daiwa?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:10 pm

To whoever special ordered the new Shimano Curado 200E7 at Charley's Fishing Supply: What a nice reel! I looked at it today and I think you will love it. It is as light as the 100D, but with more capacity and HEG. You should pick it up ASAP and fish it!!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Dellaq
bait level

Re: Casting reels: shimano vs. daiwa?

Postby Dellaq » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:43 pm

I apologize for bumping...only my personal opinion...

I have owned a lot of Shimano and Daiwa products. Shimano has done a great job of developing a product line and sticking with it. By that I mean the models stay the same year in and year out. As an angler new additions or changes are easy to identify. In regards to Daiwa, one of the biggest knocks I have is they change models way too often. From one year to the next you do not know if the model you have come to love will be around. The good news is the reels generally do not change in function but the will have different names and look different. Both reels will be extremely reliable for a long time. I fish quite a bit and I fish bass tournaments. I am a converted walleye angler so I prefer fishing deep structure for largemouth. I put my spinning gear through a lot more wear and tear than a traditional walleye angler. By that I mean I cast a lot, I crank drags down to horse fish or even back reel when I find it necessary.
Most walleye anglers are either jig fishing or riggin with their spinning gear. Opening the bail and dropping the bait into the water is not a lot to ask from a reel. If this is you, then buy which ever one you like better on the shelf because they will both satisfy you.
However if you are more active, casting a lot I have a different take on your question.
I would be curious to know what features you find important. One of the things that I am always bothered by is line twist. Now I should address the fact that I pitch and cast a lot with my spinning tackle so line twist is much more of an issue. Daiwas twist buster system is not just something they use for marketing. I can guarantee you that you will experience far less line twist in a Daiwa spinning reel than a Shimano. Daiwa use a larger spool diameter ( allows for larger drag discs for smoother drag) and slightly tapers it towards the rear of the reel, this allows line to flow smoothly of the spool but not so freely that you end up with the dreaded in line rats nest that inevitably flies out with your cast. Shimano has a very narrow spool diameter, a narrow spool will add considerable line twist upon spooling up because you are forcing the line to be wrapped in a tighter coil and also putting way too much line on the reel.
Now I want to qualify something I use Shimano cassting reels almost exclusively, if you would have asked a questiona bout casting reels, Shimano rules hands down. But I would definitely consider the Daiwa spinning reels.
I have fished side by side pitching jig worms with my partner. The night before we both respooled, our casting and retrieval are identical and without fail he has to switch rods simply because his Shimano has line that twists so severely he has to change rods.
I could go on and on with this arguement, you will be happy with both reels in the long run but I do believe the Daiwa has a leg up in performance.

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:06 pm

In Hawaii, shimano spinning reels are the most popular from what I observed. Most of Hawaii's fisherman are saltwater anglers. For me, my reels have to be versatile because I am a budget and also do so many types of fishing. I tend to stick to models rather than companies. I like the stradic line of reels and haven't had to many problems with it. The stradics do become obsolete because they stop making parts for the older editions. They used to give you a new reel before but not any more. They are also hard to service because they have so many small parts. Just to open one you have to take out around 9 screws of various sizes.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:28 am

Well, the title of this thread says "casting reels" so...
In casting reels, Shimano rules for sure! They are reliable, easy to service, and perform the best in their price category, for the most part. I also much prefer their centrifugal brakes instead of Daiwa's magnets. I will say that the Daiwa Fuego can be had on ebay for about $66 and it is an awesome reel! Buy it now while it lasts, as it has been replaced by an inferior line which is not even made by Daiwa, but rather made for them. If you want a true workhorse with no weakness, find a Curado 200E7 or its Japan equivalent, the Scorpion 1500xt-7 (easier to find). If you want a long long casting bomber of a reel, get a Japan market Shimano Casitas MGL. Yes it has a plastic frame, but I have not noticed any weakness or flex in it. It casts farther than all of my other reels, some costing 3 times as much!
For spinning reels, I agree that Daiwa is numero uno! My Fuego 1000A is my all time favorite spinning reel, even though it is almost 10 years old!
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Return to “General Discussion”