Casting reels: shimano vs. daiwa?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

Boatless
King Sushi level

Casting reels: shimano vs. daiwa?

Postby Boatless » Tue May 20, 2008 8:01 am

Another tackle question. Any opinions? models?

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Tue May 20, 2008 9:28 am

I've used both of each companies higher end and lower end models and like them both. I really love the new Shimano Curados, and I also like their Chronarch, haven't tried the Calais....Maybe one day. I personally like the Daiwa TD-X models a little bit more though, I find them a bit more comfortable. But as far has performance they seem to be on the same playing field. I do have to say that the lower end Shimano reels are much better than the lower end Daiwa reels.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue May 20, 2008 11:20 am

What are you looking for, finesse or general use? How much are you looking to spend? In the finesse category, my favorite reel is the Shimano Chronarch 51MG. This is an awesome reel and it weighs only 5.9 oz.! In this category, I also have a Daiwa Sol and Alphas, and Pixy, but I prefer using the MG. The Curado 100D weighs more (7.4oz), but performs similarly and costs a lot less (about $155 if you shop around). It has been discontinued because the new Curados are coming out soon, so if you want one, you better hurry.
My overall favorite reel is the Shimano Antares AR (USA model is the Calais 100A). This reel is smooooth and built to last. It can cast a wide range of lures from 1/8 oz and up.
I like the VBS braking of the Shimanos more than the Magforce in the Daiwas, but that's just me. I feel like they are not as finicky. Just set it and forget it, unless changing lure weights drastically. The Daiwas may give you a little more absolute distance though. Honestly, you pretty much can't go wrong when it comes to Daiwa and Shimano.
Fishing is fun only if you do it for fun.Image www.texassidewinderrods.com

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Tue May 20, 2008 10:31 pm

Right now i've got a couple of low end general use reels- the callisto and cruxis. Both very good for the price. Time to upgrade so I may spring for a calcutta Te(non-dc) or the core as i've tried both at BPS a few months ago when in Las Vegas. Thanks for all the info.

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Wed May 21, 2008 1:41 am

If you are considering the Core, I would get the Metanium MG7 from ebay instead. For the same price, you are getting a better reel. More bearings (in this case) makes it smoother and you get that feeling of exclusivity by owning a JDM reel. No warranty, but you can use Core parts. The Core with its red spool does look a lot cooler though.
If you get a Calcutta TE, let me know. I'd like to check it out! I am looking at the Conquest 51GT presently. Pretty expensive though.
One reel that is getting rave reviews all over the place is the Daiwa Advantage TDA153HSTA. Supposed to as good or better than the Zillion for almost $100 less! I have a BPS TD-Pro and I like it a lot. The Advantage is supposed to be even better.
Maybe you can listen to Ca_Bass and get the TD-X. It is still around after all these years for a reason....it is a darn good reel, A CLASSIC! Best freespool of any off the shelf reel I have ever seen. Even pros like Denny Brauer and others still use it even though there are newer models to choose from. I hear the finish is not so durable though. I would get one except for the fact that the lefty version looks ridiculous! Unlike other reels, the lefty version is not a mirror image of the righty, it is it's own model in itself.

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed May 21, 2008 10:05 pm

I was giving all this stuff some thought, and totally forgot the two key things I that help me make my decision easier.

1. The amount of Bearings

2. The Gear ratio for the application.

Those are the two most important factors in my opinion.
Everyone will have their favorite brands for whatever reason. If you are partial to Shimano get a Shimano, but say you like Daiwa more then get a Daiwa. If you have no preference, get the reel you think looks cooler..if they're in the same class they're probably going to perform about the same. I'd just say, make sure you get a smooth reel that will cast well(Bearings) and your Gear ratio matches what types of lures you plan on using it with. With plastic worms I like it to be SLOW!!! Spinnerbaits I like it fast, crankbaits somewhere in between. If you wanna use one reel for all three I'd go somewhere in the middle as well.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Sun May 25, 2008 10:53 am

Greetings All,

As Skunked mentioned, you can't go wrong with either Shimano or Daiwa reels. Majority of my fresh water reels are Shimano and Daiwa.

It all comes down to application and how much you want to spend..... :wink:

Bass regards,
Mel - Kahuna bass
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Fri May 30, 2008 1:12 am

If you can swing it, get this:
Antares DC7 (Calais 201DC)
Even on those very frequent days that I zero, I just get a kick out of casting this thing and listening to its cool sound.
This next one is a little gem of a reel. For a whole lot less, you can do the same or better with a small spinning reel, but what fun is that!
Daiwa Pixy 2004
I was just wondering if you decided on a reel yet? New Curados coming out soon!! Have you ever considered the Shimano Chronarch 100B or JDM model metanium xt? These are great all-around reels and pretty much bullet proof too.

kahuna bass
King Sushi level

Postby kahuna bass » Fri May 30, 2008 2:29 am

Skunked,

You sure got some pretty toys 8)

I truly believe you are a "tackle ho".

Looking forward to heading back to Japan next month. I've been over due for some bass stuff. Been spending too much time lately on Salt water stuff. :twisted: Getting ready for my next charter (5 day long range trip-June) Albacore tuna are calling my name!! :wink:

Bass regards, Mel "kahuna bass"
Part time "tackle ho"
If you ain't fish'n, you ain't have'n fun...Got fish!

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Fri May 30, 2008 5:25 pm

Skunked,

Nice reels! I thought about getting the Calais but I haven't worked up the courage to face my wife if I do :D

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Fri May 30, 2008 5:31 pm

Skunked, damn that antares looks sweet. $700 bux for a reel......... Have you tried the calcutta DC? the calcutta is what, about 5 bills? Is it worth it? And no, still havent decided on a reel. Too many choices. The core DC is coming out too? They've got a metanium Dc posted on japantackle. And I think Ca-Bass mentioned something about bearings. Is more the better????

Ca_Bass
King Sushi level

Postby Ca_Bass » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:39 pm

Boatless,

Sorry but I failed to make it to BPS, my freaking truck broke down again :( On Friday I'll be flying back to Oahu.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:54 am

No problem Ca_bass
I had a chance to try a friend's 7' ML w/ fast taper rod. It was a BPS model, not a shimano or ffenwick but it sufficed. I got a good feel of the flex of the rod. now just gotta decide which one......maybe both.....

skunked
King Sushi level

Postby skunked » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:22 am

Boatless, did you get a reel yet? The new Curados should be out soon and they are looking pretty awesome. They are trying to win back the customers they lost to the ABU Revos.

Boatless
King Sushi level

Postby Boatless » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:35 pm

Hi skunked. nope not yet. no rod yet either. I did see the curado and citica "e" 's on tackletour. looks pretty good. lots of new reels coming tho. will keep you posted.

Return to “General Discussion”