Hawaii

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

MichaelDike
minnow level

Hawaii

Postby MichaelDike » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:16 am

HI,

My girlfriend has booked us a short trip to Hawaii in August to have some "couple time" before I disappear to the jungle again. (To stop me using all my holidays allocation on myself...) So... I know they have a reasonable population of butterfly in the lake there. And a bunch of other species I haven't caught that might be fun. I see there is one guide operating there but not at present. I was actually thinking I might forgo the guide and try my own luck, if I can get some info. ie. What is the area like? Is there boat/canoe/kayak rental or something there on the lake? Land based access? I can carry in my own gear - no problems. And then, any recommendations on the non-peacock options would be appreciated too. Feel free to suggest anything we could find ourselves anywhere in the islands at this stage only the international flights are booked.

Any help will be apprecited.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:
https://bit.ly/2t2W0mO
Transportation Software Video

Thank you.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Re: Hawaii

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:49 pm

It's kind of tough fishing from shore at lake Wilson... steep banks and limited access. No one rents boats. I have seen guys rent kayaks and bring them to the lake. August is a great time to fish for peacock bass. They feed exclusively on smaller fish, so any lure or fly that looks or acts like a little fish works fine. I fish from a boat and use light spinning tackle with #4 pound test line and small lures and jugs. For fly fishing a 3 or 4 weight fly rod is fun. Our peacock bass average just a little over 2 pounds, so you get a real workout on light tackle.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Re: Hawaii

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:56 pm

If your headed up to Lake Wilson, go like your going to the North Shore on H-2 and take EXIT 8... cross the bridge and keep right. Takes you right to the Wahiawa State Freshwater Fishing Park... In fact, why don't you go on Google and type in "exit 8 bass". :D :D :D
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

Return to “General Discussion”