Vegetation for Lake Wilson

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

wlonderee
bait level

Vegetation for Lake Wilson

Postby wlonderee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi,
I was discussing this topic of lack of vegetation in Lake Wilson with one of my patients and one of my fishing friends who is on the forum. Is there any way to get vegetation back in the lake? I think it would help the fish population.
Thank you,
Billy Londeree

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Re: Vegetation for Lake Wilson

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 pm

I asked Annette at the DAR about putting in some kind of aquatic vegetation. She replied that it would be beneficial for the lake but they do not have the man power (they are short staffed) to keep any overgrowth under control. It would also be difficult to find vegetation that could survive the constant water level changes without being invasive. The water level has to be maintained at 60-65 feet which sucks. She said ideally if the califorina grass would creep down and take root in that 60 to 65 foot level that would help but that has not happened yet. The hffa has been experimenting with rafts to build "grass islands", but I haven't seen those yet. May be you can think of something that might work.

Stan Wright
King Sushi level

Postby Stan Wright » Wed May 02, 2018 7:17 pm

I was thinking some floating wood pallets... with a Christmas tree tied under it. tie it to a tree some place where the water levels wouldn't bother it too much.
"Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story?"

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Fri May 04, 2018 11:12 am

I remember when the old trestle was falling a part, large pieces of the frame wash up on the shoreline. The California grass would grow onto it and eventually it cover the floating wood and form a grass island. These "islands" would occasionally break away from the shore and float to other areas of the lake. Fishing around those "islands" was usually good.

Return to “General Discussion”