What's the future of Lake Wilson & Wahiawa Freshwater Park?

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

SeaEagleKayaker
bass level

Postby SeaEagleKayaker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:35 pm

The renovation of Wahiawa Freshwater Park is done . It looks good.

Let's hear from Hawaiibassfishing Forum

This forum has quitted down. Some very active guides have left and others, especially Stan Wright have been less active.

So if you have been quiet on this forum because you felt new; it's time for you to tell us all about your experience. Otherwise this useful source of fishing information will just go away.

The other day I sent the USGS a webmail saying there was something wrong with their report on the depth at the Wahiawa Spillway. They said no.

So I decided to walk down to the boat latching site today. And, they were right. Lake Wilson is very low -- unusually low. Yet we've had big rain. Are we keeping it low for Hurricanes?

You can check out Lake Wilson levels here: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=16210000

Does anyone know why Lake Wilson levels are lower than normal?

Does that help certain kinds of fishing?

The Wahiawa Fresh Water Park is probably the most unspoiled and peaceful park on the island.

This forum can help keep it that way.

Your thoughts?

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Re: What's the future of Lake Wilson & Wahiawa Freshwater Park?

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:35 am

Here are some of the impacts that I think has happened since the dnlr decided to keep the water at a lower level. First of all, the tucanare fishery has declined a lot. Before the dnlr decided to keep the water at a lower level, I thought the tucanare fishery was the one resource the dnlr couldn't screw up but they did. At first, the lower water condensed the fish to a smaller area, therefore the fishing was still good. After that, it got worse. Secondly, there seems to be less bait fish around. Next, the lm bass seem to be doing better. I do not see as many "skinny" ones as before. Finally, when ever they lower the water, it washes a lot of silt into the ocean. The waters off Haleiwa and Wailua becomes muddy. In essence they are polluting the ocean. They should charge the people in the flood zone for upkeep of the dam.

Return to “General Discussion”