Shore fishing lake wilson

main forum

Moderators: Stan Wright, roadwarriorsvt

drcray
bass level

Shore fishing lake wilson

Postby drcray » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:32 pm

I just moved here from Florida for grad school at UH. I have fished my whole life in florida for peacocks and largemouth and anything else fresh or salt that will bite a hook. I have already caught most the cichlid species in the UH quarry pond and some fish offshore on off the beach, and I am itching to catch my first hawaiian tucanare. I don't have a boat or yak, but maybe in the future.

So are there any shore fishing spots that will produce tucs? I don't care as much about LMB's, but SMB's would be cool too. A map or direction would be cool, but a yes would suffice if it's a secret and I have to find it lol

Also, I have heard about a botanical garden on the west shore with a pond where you can fish with barbless hooks? Anyone know about that?

Also any other lakes with tucs or just lake wilson?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:46 pm

The botanical garden you speak of sounds like Hoomaluhia, but its in Kaneohe, not the west side. There are a few spots that produce Tucs. Some are along Wilikina Dr. and off points behind Wilikina Dr./Kunia Rd. Nothing is a garuntee though. Here is a hint: White roadrunners are your friend on this lake! :wink:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

drcray
bass level

Postby drcray » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:51 pm

waokele pond? does that produce fish?

roadwarriorsvt
King Sushi level

Postby roadwarriorsvt » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Waokele Pond and Hoomaluhia are one in the same. They only allow cane pole fishing, which they provide, on Sat/Sun from 10:00 AM-2:00 pm.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

drcray
bass level

Postby drcray » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Do you know what species they have/allow you to catch? I also have heard of a stream behind a private high school that has small SMB's, but this was from someone who went to that school 4 years ago, and the availability of fish in your streams out here seems to change yearly.

asianmanofmystery
bass level

Postby asianmanofmystery » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Hoomaluhia's main offerings are red devil cichlids, banded jewel cichlids and tilapia. This is mostly a kiddie activity unless you want to check out the botanical attractions. If you do go, bring white bread for bait.

Ken
King Sushi level

Postby Ken » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:55 am

While fishing in Ho'omaluhia, did anyone ever caught these?

I'm read these Nicaraguan Cichlid can be found in Ho'omaluhia, but not sure how common they are.
Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear.

I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger than they really are.

Life List: 386 species and counting

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... -list.html

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN
King Sushi level

Postby OO7:BASSINASSASSIN » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Hello drcray, I do not mean to high jack your tread but I am curious as to how they fish for peacockbass in florida? I was thinking that there is so much distance between us and florida they probably develope some different techinques. Inquring minds what know.

drcray
bass level

Postby drcray » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 am

OO7:BASSINASSASSIN wrote:Hello drcray, I do not mean to high jack your tread but I am curious as to how they fish for peacockbass in florida? I was thinking that there is so much distance between us and florida they probably develope some different techinques. Inquring minds what know.

We use a variety of techniques. I mostly use swimbaits and crankbaits and then I sight cast them from shore in canals that are all over the area. When I get bored I use spinnerbaits or topwater. Everything that moves fast pretty much produces. When I get really bored I use flys. I find that pulling things steady and fast works the best, as I feel like most of their bites were pure reaction bites.

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:26 am

roadwarriorsvt wrote:Waokele Pond and Hoomaluhia are one in the same. They only allow cane pole fishing, which they provide, on Sat/Sun from 10:00 AM-2:00 pm.

Catch & release only too which is pretty lame and contributes to the overpopulation of Red Devils. I suggested to the management there an open day with bag limits but my suggestions fall on deaf ears. :roll:
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

drcray
bass level

Postby drcray » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:00 am

Holy cow man, and I thought Florida had problems with invasives! I haven't seen big plecos out here like us though. Only little ones. None like this which I shot with a fishing bow. Image

Ahnkochee
King Sushi level

Postby Ahnkochee » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Lake Wilson has plenty big Plecos enough that while trolling gold Rapalas or Ratt'L-Traps for bass I have snagged a few BIG Plecos in the body while they came up for air (yup they do that). :wink:

As far as shore fishing just whipping a float rig using gold tinsel flies on the right side of boat ramp has produced plenty Tucs (Peacock Bass) not monsters but fun 1 to 2 pounders great on ultralight tackle.
ImageIllegitimus Non CarborundumImage

drcray
bass level

Postby drcray » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:59 pm

Well I'm gonna go hit it from the shore this weekend. If I see anyone out there I'll be the haole with the silver suv lol :) tight lines to anyone going fishing.

Return to “General Discussion”